Version 2.5.25: * Check for gsed if running on BSD
The last blog post is more than a month old – sorry that I have to dash your expectations that I blew my head off or something environmentally benign like that. I just went on producing Open Source stuff.
Gabi, my very adorable girl friend, switched over to Linux lately together with her mother. Both of them used to use Picasa on Windows to manage their bazillions of photos. The main reason was that Picasa displays *all* images of all folders known to it on a single page so the user is able to scroll through the complete galley at once without changing folders inbetween. I tried all image managing programs available in the Debian repository but unfortunately there is not a single image viewer which is able to display the whole collection at once. You know what’s next…
The result is Glance. By now it offers some rudimentary functionality:
- Select a folder to display its and all of its subdirectories contents
- Select images with the mouse, CTRL and Shift are working as expected
- Select images beyond directory boundaries with Shift and CTRL
- Three preview sizes available
- Themes (two by now – light and dark)
- Multi language (german and english by now)
- Multi-threaded thumbnail generator using all of your computers cores
- Open images in most of the image viewers and editors available
- Batch-oriented file handling for all functions
- Batch-renaming and copying with expressions for string subtitution including date, time, counters, …
- Graphical configuration dialog
- Remembers settings like theme, size, folder, …
- DEB/RPM/TAR available, DEB via repository
A early version of Glance will be available for testing in the wild in a couple of days when I added some more essential features like overwriting dialog (to keep users from destructing their collection) and a file/folder watchdog to keep track of changes in the file system immediately.
So – nothing *really* new, just another way to handle and display your image collection…
One of the missing things in Calf was a Ring Modulator, a very simple effect, best used with some pad-like synths with lots of delay and reverb to add some neat modulation running around in the background. The Calf version of this device adds two LFOs which can be used to modulate frequencies, amount or detune depth (Calf Ring Modulator is able to detune the modulator between L and R). The second LFO can act on the first LFO’s frequency setting which adds some interesting changes in the modulator frequency.
I’m happy to announce the next device in our collection: a vocoder. It offers a dynamic amount of bands, a fine-grained control over every band like additional noise, additional filtered modulator signal, balance, solo and so on and some other neat features like an analyzer for the different signals in the frequency response graph.
As the line graph shows – this thing gets exponentially hungry for CPU when turning the bands knob up – the more filters you get, the steeper the filters are set. You’ve been warned ,)
I don’t get in contact with this kind of software that much but when I do it nearly always draws a smile onto my face – like it did recently: as I looked at my webstats today I mentioned that I again forgot to harden my WordPress against those poor people who got hijacked for taking part in massive botnet bruteforce attacks. “Harden” simply means to rename wp-login.php to something else while putting an empty file with that name into place.
Thats no reason to write a blog post about – the fun fact in this story is that the numbers of attackers on wp-login.php exactly corresponds to an unusual high amount of connections via a certain operating system:
|1||25975||Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0|
I don’t have to mention that there’s no browser involved in these attacks, it is done by some scripts running as “services” in the background connecting through curl and the like. So the important information in this entry is the operating system used:
Windows NT 6.3
A closer look into the Wiki reveals the commonly known name of it: “Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows RT 8.1″
So either those script kiddies have a good sense of humor (which I bet is the case) or the brand new (bugfix-)Windows is a bigger fail than anyone expected (which is also the case).
Recently the Multiband Limiter was an optical epic fail. This happened after I added the bigger x-over display for stripping all the knobs needed before. Now it’s hopefully more pleasant again, at least I don’t need to pull a face like looking at a shocking accident any more while working with this device.
A long time Calf wasn’t capable of multiple ins and outs (and therefore additional stereo sidechain inputs). I implemented this feature lately for the X-Overs outs, Krzysztof added the same for the inputs and just this minute I added the corresponding support in both sidechain devices. Finally we have useable stereo sidechain functionality. It works with mono sidechain input as well, just leave the stereo mode set to “maximum”. If you want to process mono singnals with mono sidechain just use input #1 as the original signal and #3 as the mono sidechain.